Tuesday, November 10, 2009

Lunch with Papa & Traveling Details...

Mondays are what I like to call Mabel & Mommy days...I know I'm weird. Anyway, Monday is just for us. We hang out together, Mabel can nurse as much as she wants and we do what ever we want, even if it is just hanging out in our PJs all day (that is more for Mumma than Mabel).

Today we wanted to get out of the house. We needed to swing by our playdate location of last week and pick up Mabel's three favorite books...no matter how hard I try to remember everything I always seem to leave something behind! I once heard someone say that kids are like snails they just leave a trail of stuff behind...I think moms of little ones are too!

So Mabel and I had a great morning, she didn't want to nap much - but that isn't anything new. When I'm home she does not want to nap...although on Sunday she took a great long nap in her crib in the afternoon, it set a unrealistic expectation for Monday (that never happened). We ventured out and met Papa for lunch at Wholefoods. Papa was working so this was such a treat for all of us. We had a great time, Mabel love to people watch and I brought her apples, cereal and bits and she ate with us! She warms my heart! Then we strapped Mabel into our new hip carrier and Mabel and I did a little grocery shopping. After all the excitement she fell asleep in the car and we got our books and went home. I would consider that a very successful outing.

Car travel with the Spica:
I have to say I HATE the car seat. It first of all is huge, but the biggest pain is that she needs a wedge under her to keep her in the right spot and first of all that wedge is pain to get in the right place and then it sometimes moves and she slides down if you don't get it just right. The way her legs are in the cast the belts just don't seem quite right as they come over her legs a bit, but the Hospital fitted her and this is the best it is and they assure us it is safe since this is what this car seat is made for. Mabel does love how high it makes her sit so she can see out of all the windows so that is a plus I guess.

Clothing makes the baby:
If you are concerned with strangers staring at your baby wondering what in the world happened to her to cause her to be in a spica cast then the right clothing will hide everything. I would be lying if I said I didn't care what people thought about Mabel in her cast. I do care. I don't want people staring at her or thinking there is something wrong with her because there isn't. So it is and always has been important for me to cover the cast. Covering the cast also seems to help keep it cleaner by the way. I have rompers that cover the cast and pants that are also made to cover the cast. With the clothing I found no one ever seems to notice.

The right baby carrier:
Mabel's cast is made in the prefect shape to fit around my hips. I got a new hip carrier that I can put her in when we are out and no one seems to even notice the shape her legs are in. If we carry her she also looks natural but if I'm alone with her and need to shop or something the carrier is perfect so I have free hands. I can't wear it too long b/c of the extra weight of the cast, but it is comfortable for about 3 minutes and that is plenty. I also can use her Baby Bjorn for walks but in the cast she does project a little more from me than she did so it is hard to do tasks with her in it.

No comments:

Post a Comment