Tuesday, October 20, 2009

Our Not-So New Newborn...

Well, home life feels like we are starting all over again. It is almost like being the new parents of a newborn as we try to figure out the best way to do things.

I had always loved being Mabel's mom and taking care of her from day one, but the new challenges we faced as we got our techniques down I remember vividly. Mastering the diaper changes, figuring out what she needs, getting her to sleep, having all kinds of great baby gear that she doesn't fit into yet because she's too tiny...well, it is kinda like that all over again except now Mabel knows that we are doing things differently.

Overall Mabel's adjustment has been pretty good. She is in good spirits considering and to her credit she's been very "easy going". It is hard for us to keep her entertained all the time, she was always able to play alone with her toys and I know she'll do that again when she learns to accept the limitations of her cast. She gets frustrated when she realizes she can no longer roll over and move like she did. She has taken to pushing down on the top of her cast as if to try and get it off. She does cry in frustration, but over all she is doing well.

Sleep is another issue...she wants to sleep on mommy... which in turn means very little sleep for mommy, not that I've never done that before. Naps are pretty much non-existent, but she was never a great napper anyway.

Bath time has always been so much fun for Mabel, now it turned into the worst part of our day since she knows that we aren't doing what we once did, I'm confident I can work something out that will make her feel like it is normal. She always enjoyed a good "naked dance" time before her bath and now with the cast she looks at me like "Take this off too!" but I'm determined to make this fun again...I just have to figure out how. Not being able to bath her is just as hard on me as her, I feel like she needs a bath every night and sponge baths are not the same. We'll adjust, we have to. I look forward to her new first bath again...

Diaper changes are a lot easier than I had thought they would be, clothing is also easier thanks to some moms of other hip kids that started some clothing options. I found online some rompers that I love, they fit right over the whole cast. It made such a difference for us when it was painful to see her cast at first. I also have always loved the one piece sleepers for her b/c of comfort. I also found another site that sells pants that fit over the cast. I'm eagerly awaiting those, I got some cute onesies to go with them. I also found some baby legwarmers at Target in their baby section. Mabel will be a fashion nugget!

No comments:

Post a Comment