Saturday, December 5, 2009

The date is set...

Yesterday was Mabel's two week check-up for her new cast. That makes our total of weeks in her cast so far as seven...Lucky number seven! We got the good news that her x-ray showed her hip looked the great, the doctor said he was very happy with how everything was looking and he said we could schedule her appointment for four weeks from now to take the cast off! Yay! So we marched out to the receptionist, so excited that we'll have that cast off a week early since technically it will only be 11 weeks since they did her cast change early because of the holiday. The receptionist pulled up the scheduling, "Ok...four weeks brings us to January 1st..." Oh that's great I thought, Zack's vacation starts January 1st! Then she smiles, "Ok, I have you down for January 8th at 8:30am, is that good?" Uh, we thought four weeks, we said. "Oh, the 8th is his first opening."

I'm not disappointed, ok we'll have to serve our full time of 12 weeks in this cast, I accept that. But the big picture is we have a date, a count down, a light at the end of the cast, I mean tunnel! We are beyond excited, so only five more weeks to go now. The orthopedic doctor gave us the prescription for the brace she'll have to wear after the cast. I don't know what type we are getting, I'm now researching the different types so I can feel prepared. We have an appointment this coming Thursday to have Mabel measured so they can get her brace ready for the big cast off in January! The doctor didn't really have much info regarding the brace, I think I was too excited since he said we would be able to take it off to give her baths. He did say that they will be taking her cast off at the office, so we don't have to go the hospital route again with the anesthesia and all that crap - I'm glad that is all behind us, but he did warn us that babies don't deal well with the cast coming off, the saw is loud, it takes some time and it won't be fun. But it will be off!!! Check out Mabel's winning x-ray, I need to get copies of all of them and frame them! Check out the picture of her admiring her hard work!

January 8th is Mabel's 13 month birthday...what a great birthday present that will be. We'll have the birthday bath to celebrate!

No comments:

Post a Comment