Thursday, December 3, 2009

Another reality...

One thing I haven't touched on, because although in my opinion it isn't important in the big picture, is the cost of treatment. It isn't inexpensive to have any medical problem and in the grand scheme of things it isn't that bad. With that said it is unnerving to open the mail and find bills for hospital, anesthesia, doctor and x-rays. I mean I'm still paying off Mabel's birth! But I remind myself that we are lucky, we have insurance that covers most of it (if you ask me it should cover more with the amount we pay!), and although our part to pay is a lot when added to our regular bills and cost of living, we have been able to work out a payment plan with the hospital, so we may be paying on this for a few years, but at least Mabel will be healthy. I just wish that this wasn't something I had to worry about when my major concern is just helping my daughter get well.

After Mabel's surgery I did meet a woman who's daughter was treated at a Shriners Hospital for her closed reduction, spica and follow up treatments. They didn't have insurance and with going through the Shriners they didn't have to pay anything. In hindsight I wish I had known of that so I could have looked into it, but for anyone out there that may need treatment and aren't able to pay this is a great option to look into. I don't know firsthand how it works, but it worked for my friend's family. http://www.shrinershq.org/Shrine/

No comments:

Post a Comment