Tuesday, March 2, 2010

The Doctors Agree...

I couldn't have been happier than when I heard the Physical Therapist say that Mabel has already shown a lot of improvement. She is excited about the progress that she has already seen in the past three visits. This past Thursday she said that Mabel is really doing great and to keep up the home work that we've been given. Mabel can now successfully get up to the sitting position herself and back to her belly without a thought. She also likes to pull herself up and although she doesn't crawl on all fours yet, her left knee does get moving when she's army crawling. She also keeps her left foot on the floor more when standing and she straightens that leg more.

Mabel's Orthopedic Surgeon agrees that her mobility is much better, but he wants to see more flexibility so he agreed to stick with the physical therapy. He took an x-ray to get a good look at that joint. I was relieved that he wanted to x-ray since he hadn't ordered one since Mabel's cast was removed on January 8th, I'm so worried that her hip will dislocated again. He said the joint still looked good, but he wants to see her in a couple of weeks to keep an eye on it, he too said right now it is a delicate balance of getting that joint to move but keeping it in the socket.

Every day I see more mobility improvements with Mabel. I sometimes wonder where she would be at if she hadn't had this problem, would she be walking? Running? Climbing? It is impossible to know and to picture. Our new PT homework is sitting on the floor with her legs straight out and knees straight so she can reach forward to stretch her lower back and upper thigh muscles. She doesn't seem to mind at all. When ever I have to legs lined up like that I make sure her heals touch and her legs are the same length, I still remember that realization when Zack and I saw her legs were different lengths, it was panic. I just keep my figures crossed that her left hip stays right where it needs to be, I have to honestly say I'd be devastated if we had to go through surgery and the cast again when we've come so far!

Oh, what do you think of Mabel's bow? Yes, I did that to her, but she looked so cute...poor Mabel hasn't she been through enough without her Mummy putting big bows in her hair?

No comments:

Post a Comment